Monday, November 13, 2006

The two greatest redshift surveys ever, or a house of cards???

Dear breaders (blog-readers),

As some, all or none of you might be aware, I received the referees report for my 2SLAQ LRG clustering paper last week. On the whole, the feedback was (very) positive and am sure the refs comments will make it stronger, better paper. Muchos appreciatas.

However, me being a Hibs daft footy fan and playing for Ustinov AFC, I always like a good "discussion" with the referee and this might seem to be no different. Essentially what is at stake is the entire legacy of the SDSS and 2dFGRS. I kid you not.

The question, my friends is, "In any given redshift survey, what determines the maximum scale at which your survey can probe?" (Answers on a postcard/email/blog comment post. Winner gets an honourable mention in the Ross et al. acknowledgments!! ;-)

I have my own ideas - thanks Cole (Durham) for help here - but if I'm/we're incorrect, not only are my results capoot, the whole house of cards will tumble too!!

2 Comments:

Blogger jps said...

You might get a paper out of debunking these surveys mate!

10:05 AM  
Blogger NPR said...

I can just see it now:

Ross et al (2007),
"On the issues of Large-Scale Structure in the 2dFGRS and SDSS: Where these surveys a general pile of Thomas H. Crapper??", MNRAS submitted.

Hmmmm.

Just to be on the safe side (and before I insult every single one of my past, current and potential future employers), I might do a few more re-writes before it gets put on astro-ph...

;-)

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home