Thursday, May 04, 2006

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi, Fortune Plango Vulnera Una

I did some maths today. Begun to get my head around covariance and correlation matrices and that Numerical Receipes book is a good as anything. Feel I understand now where all the covariances link in, at least as far as the "Normal Formulae" go.

Also - and I apologies to those that think I am a heathen for only doing this now - had my first good experience today with IDL. Thanks Norris and da Angela (both Durham). As such, have a nice least squares function waiting for me tomorrow!

However, late this evening figured out why I've been so worried about this whole thing. Essentially I'm still only working out variances and covariances on the redshift-space correlation function (de-projected or otherwise). However, you still have to collapse/integrate this to get wp(sigma) and then INTERPOLATE to get the real-space correlation function. Argh! And how the errors carry through is anyones "guess".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home