Tuesday, May 16, 2006

another frustrating day

Why, oh why, oh why, oh why?!?!?!?!? Just when I thought it was a simple case of typing "FORMAT" instead of "format" (classic) I then begin to realise that there is something else up and the bloomin' DR counts are still screwy. I'm satisfied my correl_five code is correctly outputting numbers, Wake is satisfied (and I am too) that the npt is fine but what then is happening when I compare the random-random distributions and find the number of DR pairs are less than DD pairs. Oh dear me. Bet The Doctor never has this problem and that's why he gets so much done.

Anyway, "first" thing tomorrow, my own (x,y,z) random points, 1000 and then 10,000 of them and let's see where that leaves us. Sorry if this is turning into a bloan (cross between a blog and a moan).

Some more interesting papers today on the pre-print server.
Cimatti et al. (astro-ph/0605353) commenting on the build-up of mass from z~1 after re-examining rest-frame B-band COMBO-17 and DEEP2 luminosity functions (LFs) of early-type galaxies. From the abstract, "At each redshift there is a critical mass above which virtually all ETGs appear to be in place, and this fits well in the now popular "downsizing" scenario. However, ``downsizing'' does not appear to be limited to star formation, but the concept may have to be extended to the mass assembly itself as the build-up of the most massive galaxies preceeds that of the less massive ones". This seems to fit quite nicely with Wake's recent result and will be v. interesting to hear how it fits in with Conselise (Nottingham) talking tomorrow.

The other paper that caught my eye and that I read was Rigopoulou et al. (astro-ph/0605355) and the discrepancy in the last graph between recent z~3 LBG observations and the ol' theoretical models.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home