Wednesday, February 15, 2006

SQL and field selection

Tiring but productive day. Bielby and I had a good go at, and were really getting to grips with, the SQL Servers in the SDSS (and to a lesser extent GALEX). By the end, I felt I was beginning to understand much more what Eisenstein (Arizona) did for the 2SLAQ (2dF-SDSS LRG And QSO) Survey selection, beyond the colour cuts and various magnitude filters. Essentially which flags and databases he'd utilised and why. Was still working with the COSMOS 10h field and the COMBO-17 s11 11h40 field. Tomorrow, I'll pick my "favourite" 2SLAQ field just to double check everything is okay.

Edge and I also had a good look at staralt so that we now have a rough idea which fields we can look at over the nights. Shanks (El Supervisor!) wants to be in a position to have upto ~20 fields ready just in case we hit a streak of 5/5 great, clear nights. Ah, even with my good weather record, that would be the dream...

Oz-minus 10 days and counting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home